Flowers, – why are they so much more than just a pretty thing?
This time of year is always a little confusing to me, my mind and my body. My self-care practice needs to be at 100% or else I start going a little crazy. Kinda like a bear who is just starting to wake up after hibernation, or a deer learning to walk for the first time. But this state is also my favourite. As we transition into a new season we get to embrace a new life, warmer weather, maybe even a rebirth, if you may.
As our moods begin to shift from an introverted winter to a more energetic and outgoing spring, it is important to shift our homes and office spaces as well. One of the easiest ways to do this is by bringing in new life! Yes, I am giving you permission to buy all of the plants and flowers!
Why should you buy fresh flowers?
1. They freshen the air! Sure they make the room smell delicious, but they also filter the air! Some remove toxins and can even improve your sleep because they give off extra O2.
2. Brighten your space! Maybe you own your home, or maybe you are renting a space where what you are allowed to do to it is quite limited. Flowers are the easiest way to add a splash of colour without the commitment factor of painting the walls!
3. Self Care! There are so many studies on the benefits of fresh flowers, with benefits that include:
- Lower blood pressure
- Reduced feelings of anxiety
- Help with fatigue – Hello O2
- Improved cognitive function
My top 3 low maintenance plants for air purification:
1.Devil’s Ivy or pothos (Epipremnum aureum)
This is my absolute favourite plant! They are harder to kill than they are to keep alive! It stays green even when left in the dark. I love this climbing beauty.
- Water every 7-10 days, allow the soil to dry out before watering
- They love sunlight, but only indirectly!
- Propagate when ready!
2. Spider Plants
These are my favourite plants for the bedroom because they filter out carbon monoxide from the air and they are very low maintenance. Plus, when the plant matures they produce “pups” which you can plant and make more plants!
- These do really well in a hanging pot
- They like indirect sunlight
- They like dry soil and to be in a cooler room
3. Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum)
Need I say more. These beautiful plants are great for low light spaces and, if your pot allows, this will grow extremely large. they produce beautiful white flowers!
- To be watered weekly
- No Direct Sunlight
- Commit to a pot size – Whatever size you plant your Peace Lily in, – it will grow!